The District Council of Savanne is set up in accordance with Section 7 (2)(g)of the Local Government Act 2011 and falls under the portfolio of the Ministry of Local Government and Outer Islands.
The office of the District Council is headed by the Chief Executive and the Chairperson issues general policy guidelines on the activities of the Council over which he presides. The District Council of Savanne lies in the Southern Coastal part of the Republic of Mauritius and consists of 17 Villages. With the exception of Chemin Grenier Village and Surinam Villages which have 2 representatives each in the Council, the other 15 villages have 1 representative each, making it a total of 19 members. The 19 members elect the Chairperson among themselves for a period of 2 years.
AREA OF DISTRICT – 239 Km2
According to the latest statistics the District Council of Savanne has a population of 80,000 inhabitants.
FUNCTION OF THE DISTRICT COUNCIL
As per the Local Government Act 2011.
The Council area is predominantly agricultural with hectares of sugarcane fields.With recent developments in the Tourism Industry, the district houses star hotels, small hotels, guest house restaurants, scenic views, golf courts. The Integrated Resort Schemes (IRS) have gained grounds in the Village of Bel Ombre.The small and medium enterprises are also prevalent.
The district has well developed road network (main roads, secondary roads, feeder roads and footpaths) linking the main areas of the District and connecting to the other parts of the islands.
Electricity and water supply have been made accessible to almost every house by the Central Electricity Board and the Central Water Authority.
Communication is well-established in the district and the business world is connected to fax, internet, etc.
Public transport is available to connecting the main villages, towns and city.
DISTRICT PUBLIC FACILITIES
- Police Station
- Area Health Centres
- Places of Worship (R.C. Churches, Shivalas, Kovils, Mosques, etc)
- Post Office
- Football Playgrounds
- Volleyball Cum Basketball Pitch
- Petanque Courts
- Badminton Courts
PLACES OF ATTRACTIONS
Some of the main places of attractions in the district are:-
- Gris Gris Cliff
- Rochester Falls
- Grand Bassin (Ganga Talao)
- La Vanille Crocodile Park
- Coloured Earth
- Kanaka Crater & Bassin Blanc
- Bois Chéri Tea Estate
- Riverside de St Aubin
ANIMATION & CULTURE
The District is Multi-Cultural. Hindus, Christians, Muslims, Tamil and Chinese form a kaleidoscope of culture and promote social osmosis and harmony.
Football remains the most popular Sports Activity. Many football players of the region are solicited and form part of the national team. Badminton, Boxing, Handball and Volleyball are also popular.
To serve the district and its communities through high quality service with integrity, to uphold economic, social, cultural, value-based development.
To promote a prosperous and growing society in an enabling environment where citizens are able to achieve their full potential, in full enjoyment of their human rights, with due respect to gender equality, to uphold economic, social, cultural, value-based development.
We are dedicated to the mission and we exert ourselves with commensurate responsiveness to the needs of our customers by adopting the following guiding factors in our quest:
- Integrity: Always dealing with our stakeholders and in particular with our clients and our colleagues in a fair and ethical manner, gaining trust through our actions.
- Respecting people: By encouraging a courteous, ethical, honest, fair and equitable workplace. Understanding cultural diversity issues and valuing the views of our interlocutors in the performance of the daily duties.
- Valuing staff: By training them for providing the highest quality service and giving due recognition of staff performance, encouraging and supporting career development and providing continuous learning.
- Professionalism: To be committed to work ethics, confidentiality, impartiality and discipline.
- Service Excellence: To be committed at every level to provide an excellent service.
- Teamwork: To foster team spirit between all employees, departments and the Council for goal achievement.
- Punctuality: To be committed to delivering services within the prescribed delay.